Accepted Commingle Containers List:
- Aluminum Cans, Trays & Foil – (Trays and foil must be cleaned)
- Aseptic Packaging & Gable Top Containers (milk and juice cartons)
- Steel Cans and Tin
- #1 PET Soda, Water, & Flavored Beverage Bottles (#1 clear and all colored)
- #2 HDPE Milk & Juice Jugs (clear)
- #2 HDPE Detergent & Fabric Softener Containers (colored)
- #3 PVC Narrow Neck Containers Only (health & beauty aid products, household cleaners)
- #4 LDPE Grocery Containers (margarine tubs, frozen desert cups, six and twelve pack rings.)
- #5 PP Grocery Containers (yogurt cups and narrow neck syrup and ketchup bottles)
- #6 PS clean Styrofoam without any food waste.
- #7 Plastic Narrow Neck Containers Only.
- Plastic buckets, such as kitty litter buckets. (5 gallon maximum size and no metal handle)
The number above is found in chasing arrows on bottom of plastic containers.
The examples above are not limited to the types of plastic available for recycling.
If the number in the chasing arrows is #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 #7, and it fits the criteria you
may recycle the container. See Container Criteria.
Accepted Residential Paper Fiber List:
- Newspaper, including inserts (remove plastic sleeves)
- Cardboard (No Waxed Cardboard)
- Kraft (brown paper) bags
- Magazines, Catalogs, & Telephone Books
- Office & Computer paper, notebook, school, & gift wrap.(no metal clips, spirals, ring binders)
- Chipboard (cereal, cake & food , gift boxes, etc.)
- Carrier Stock (soda, beer can carrying cases)
- Junk Mail & Envelopes (no plastic cards, stick on labels)
- Paperback and Hard Cover Books
- All containers are to be empty.
- No motor oil, insecticide, herbicide or hazardous chemical containers.
- Return plastic bags to grocery or department store.
- No plastic film (no plastic sheets, tarps, or wrap)
Recycling opportunities have increased in the Wasatch Front region through the most recent introduction of Single Stream Recycling. This is a new term in the recycling climate of the region but not in the waste and recycling industry. Throughout the United States the term Single Stream Recycling has become a common and an apparent answer to many recycling needs.
What does the term Single Stream Recycling mean?
Single Stream Recycling means that material can now be collected in a total commingled fashion.
Your recycling can now be collected in a combined or mixed fashion.
Paper and containers can now be collected without the need of keeping the paper
separated from the containers.
How is the material separated?
Through the use of automated separation equipment at the MRF (Material Recovery
Facility), faster and more efficient separation can be obtained at a processing level
than can be provided in two sort separation on the curb.
What materials can be placed in my recycle bin?
Many additional products have been added to your recycle material list.
Paper fiber (any paper that tears and is not food contaminated)
Commingled Containers (Aluminum cans, foil, plates; Steel bi-metal cans, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5,
#6 #7 plastic containers) See: ACCEPTED MATERIAL LIST
You will note by recycling all items on this list you could remove over half of your
How is Single Stream Recycling collected?
Single Stream Recycling can be collected in current recycling trucks or through the
use of typical compaction vehicles that may also be used on alternate days for solid
waste and yard waste collection. This gives the opportunities for the collection companies
to maximize the use of their collection fleet for solid waste and recyclables. The companies will
no longer have to purchase and maintain double fleets of trucks that can only be used for a
single and specific collection. Because of these dual costs, it only adds to the cost of collecting
curbside recycling. Another benefit of utilizing compaction vehicles, the collection companies
will maximize the time on routes and transfer the volume of waste reduction to the
compaction fleet. This provides incentives for the companies to increase the volumes of
recycling and decrease the volume of solid waste.
How do I place recycling in my recycle bin?
Since there is no need to separate, recycle materials can be placed into bin without regard to
paper or containers. It is no longer needed to segregate paper in your bin. Add material to
your bin as generated. Continue to follow recycle guide on handling containers.
Because of the higher volume of recycle product it may require additional bins, which your local
city can make arrangements.
What does Recycling/Single Stream Recycling do for me as an individual?
- It gives you the ability to control future waste cost due to increase tipping fees
for waste being diverted from landfills.
- Adds increased lifespan to area and regional landfills, which reduces cost of
transportation to landfills outside local region.
- Provides marketable goods to recyclable end markets to provide future product
from recycled material which reduces costs of packaging to you as a consumer.
- Once material is buried in a landfill it provides no future purpose in the economy. A
constant recycling climate will renew the economical benefit of marketable product in
a continuous cycle.